Rameses III: I Could Not Love You More (CD, Type, September 2009)

Awww, my headphones are hugging me.

The basis here are long, droning string-like sounds, which pulse at something like the rate of a fast but not frantic heartbeat, and modulate over a much longer period whilst still being recognizably rhythmic. Around that we get touches of lap steel (which can't help reminding me of the KLF's Chill Out), very gently jangling guitars, a melodic bass hum, and occasional wildlife sounds. It's all very ambient, yes, but it never struggles to keep my interest. It has a serene quality to it — it feels a bit like the closing bars of a great romantic symphony, where all the frantic energy has been spent and the dissonant elements have resolved into an uplifting, euphoric transcendence... only there was no symphony, and the closing bars have somehow been stretched out to almost an hour without for a moment losing the warmth of their embrace.

I bought this from Boomkat. They call it Home Listening / Modern Classical / Ambient.

Comments