Margaret Dygas: Margaret Dygas (CD, Perlon, July 2011)

I loved Dygas's How Do You Do, and I listened to a lot of Perlon back in the day, so I was really looking forward to this record. If it's not quite what I'd expected and possibly hoped for, it's nevertheless a very satisfying listen. Where the debut album ranged over a number of styles, this focuses on refining a template. Each track starts with a soft and supple beat, all pads and ticks, a thing abstracted in the style of Villalobos maybe. And then just before it gets too dessicated a melody is introduced, something deep and unassumingly assured. There might be a swirling piano line, or one of her trademark spoken-word vocals, dryly narrative and floating almost detached in the back of the mix. Let's forget about the comparisons with its predecessor, and just luxuriate in its warm ambience.

I bought this from Boomkat. They call it Techno / House.

Comments