Objekt: Flatland (CD, Pan, October 2014)

The plus column: This is an ace album of proper electro-flavoured techno. It's sonically and rhythmically rich, it's got a lovely balance of hard thumpy bits and bloopy melodic bits, and it has that exciting feeling of being like what people thought the future was going to be like back when people thought the future was going to be exciting. The minus column: It could, at least to my ear, have been produced at any time in the past two decades. I mean, there are bits that just scream Dopplereffekt (and I have since discovered that the two acts had a split single on Leisure Systems once). That is, of course, a pretty theoretical objection, and doesn't stop it being great fun to listen to... but it's easy to overdose on such retro thrills. I try to limit myself to one or two releases like this a year. I'm glad I made this one of them.

I was bought this from Juno. They call it Techno.

Comments