Bing & Ruth: City Lake (CD, RVNG Intl, November 2015)


I utterly swooned over Bing & Ruth's Tomorrow Was The Golden Age last year, and I wasn't the only one. So I was pretty excited to learn that RVNG were re-releasing their 2012 debut. The same elements are present here: David Moore's wonderful piano playing ranges from intense torrents of alternating notes to delicate simple melodies, there is a fuzzy ambient backing from the clarinets and the double basses, the odd synth hum and mostly wordless vocal, and those heart-breaking harmonies. It's noticeably less polished than TWTGA, and the received critical opinion seems to be that this makes it a lesser work, but I'm not so sure: there's a charm in the occasional rough edges. And I rather like the way this allows itself to rock out occasionally, most notably in the dissonant crescendo of Tu Sei Uwe, which brings the first half of the record to a raucous climax. I'd say this is equal bit different (which, of course, makes it very, very good indeed).

I bought this from Boomkat. They call it Electronic.

Comments