Dorisburg: Irrbloss (2xLP, Hivern Discs, February 2016)


The opening track here is a lovely bit of deep house with what sounds like maybe a bass clarinet noodling over it, which is obviously going to make me prick up my ears. Elsewhere, there's are tracks reminiscent of Selected Ambient Works, others reminiscent of Artificial Intelligence, one fantastic shuffling melodic techy housey number which really reminds me of something I can't put my finger on, and one which really reminds me of the fluid tribal-sounding rhythms of Gabriel Ananda's Bambusbeats. So, yeah, I guess none of this stuff has been cutting edge for almost a decade. But I don't really care, because this all just sounds bloody great. Albums which take in this many different styles can be hard to pull off, but somehow this really hangs together. There are catchy hooks and satisfying beats, it has a lovely smooth vibe without ever sounding cold or over-produced... This record makes this old man very happy.

I bought this from Juno. They call it Deep House.

Comments