Xosar: Let Go (LP, Black Opal, September 2016)


Apparently, Sheela Rahman has been releasing 12"s for a few years now, but this is my first encounter with her. And a thrilling encounter it is, too. The tracks explore a range of vaguely IDM-ish analogue techno and squelchy Chicago acid sounds (rather disproving my overly-neat thesis about techno LPs going either deep or broad, since this does a bit of both). There are some real bangers here, hard and furious drum machines dominating but always with enough bloopy melody to avoid making it a tough (or tuff) listen. Others tracks are more floaty and mysterious, although always with a propulsive core to keep things moving along. There's a superb balance of hard vs gloopy, focus vs delirium, retro vs futurism... Basically, this makes me happy when I listen to it, and I'm giving it two very enthusiastic thumbs-ups.

I bought this from Boomkat. They call it Techno / House.

Comments